Self-Esteem is defined as the overall emotional evaluation of a person’s own worth. This topic is something which deserves focus and attention because it is something which defines who we are as a person and molds the relationships we have in our lives.
There are many keys to maintaining a healthy and positive self esteem. Below are some keys that will help you to be a more beneficial friend, employee, parent or spouse.
Five Main Keys of Self-Esteem are:
1) Trust In Yourself – Confidence in your ability to deal with the basic challenges of life. It is your core experience or confidence in yourself, to have the ability to respond appropriately to change in your life which instills this trust within yourself.
2) Self-Respect – Confidence in your right to be successful and happy. Knowing that you not only are able to achieve this ideal, but deserving of this, is what reinforces self-respect.
3) Self-Maintenance – It is crucial and vital for you to maintain a level of continuous personal growth and maintenance so that you are able to have awareness of areas in your life you need to work on or have excelled in. This is important, whether in your personal or professional life. Some examples of this are exercise, meditation, healthy eating or reading self-improvement literature.
4) Who You Surround Yourself With- Those you choose to surround yourself with on a daily basis will make a large impact on your attitude and outlook, which will affect your self-esteem. It is important to keep people in your life who lift you up and encourage you to grow and exceed in your goals. This increases your positive self-esteem.
5) Set Goals – Setting goals helps you visualize a way to achieve a desired outcome or result you have not yet accomplished. Take the time to set some goals for yourself – personal or professional – and use these goals to guide you in your daily life.
These are just a few ways to increase your self-esteem. Take the time to incorporate these into your daily routine and see if they increase your self-esteem and overall outlook in your life.
To read more on personal growth and suggestions on self-improvement follow our blog each week!